Found out last night that something called gather.com is having a competition sponsored by Simon and Schuster, a first romance novel contest. You enter your first chapter, and it goes to a vote, then if it makes it past that round, the second chapter goes to a vote, and then the whole work is judged by them after that. Winner is paid, published, and featured at Borders.
Yay! Why not? However: They want the WHOLE work. That means it has to be done. And roughly edited. This is a first draft, hardly edited at all. I am at the cafe at 825 in the morning, planning on staying here until I'm done. Doesn't have to be great, I am telling myself -- after all, yesterday I had no intentions of sending this anywhere yet.
2. until I'm done, hopefully less than eight hours
3. Priorities this morning:
a. Make first two chapters shine
b. Make line edits from marked hard copy of rest of work
c. Slap on a happy ending
d. Send it out.
1. Update: 9:36 - the first two chapters are done, as well as I can. Having Bethany and Lala read them. Scared! I've editing about the first fifth. Lord, I can't believe I'm sending out a first draft of ANYTHING even if it is only an online contest.
2. Update: 12:45 - first half of the book is line-edited, and I'm working on slapping on that ending. I'm emotionally overwrought. The writing actually almost made me cry. They're about to be happily ever after, and I had to take a break. But so exciting! I will need a drink tonight.
3. 1:35pm. I just typed The End. I am wild with happiness.
4. The goddamn hippies are here, playing bad guitar and singing right behind me. Screw this, I'm going home to finish the line edits.
5. 4:01pm: 80 more pages to line-edit. I'm dying here.
6. 5:15pm. Done. With all the line-edits. I'm sure I have one million typos I missed, but at this point, who cares? Drinking champagne!
7. 5:36pm. Submitting to gather.com What the hell?
4. 6:01pm. The entire thing is done. I sent out a NOVEL today. For a CONTEST.9.5 hours. Almost 4,000 words written, to the end.
5. Went fucking great.
6. Tomorrow I am seriously working on nothing.
7. I will work at nothing all day (well, I'll be at work, but apart from that, nothing).